Moved threads

Thread: Moved threads

Moved threads

Hello!

First off, I must say that I am very VERY excited for the near updates (the new site, badges etc. )

I wanted to suggest, like what God suggested with the deleted threads, that the moved threads won't show up in their original subforum, it clutters the view and seems out of place.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to get Kynseed on Early Access! <3

Howdy!

I can disable that thread behavior if everybody would prefer. The main reason why redirects are done is to avoid members going back to check on their threads later only to not find them in the forum they left them in, causing them to either mistakenly think the thread was deleted and/or hunt around trying to figure out where it got moved to. Right now the redirects are set to expire after 3 days and then they'll disappear. I could move that to 1 or 2 days or I could even disable it altogether perhaps.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

How bout a thread dedicated to the redirects(say what was where & where it is now) and after a mouth or two the old ones get deleted
    "shhhhhhh" he said as his knife flicked dangerously with a menacing smile of red and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Howdy!

causing them to either mistakenly think the thread was deleted and/or hunt around trying to figure out where it got moved to
    Couldn't a notification to the creator of the thread fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    That'd be preferable all in all but sadly that's not something the forum software does by default so for now I'd have to manually message members each time I move a thread. That's not too difficult to do with our current activity levels of course, but I'm trying to make sure this sorta stuff is scalable for when/if the community sees greater levels of activity. I like to automate things when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by VIsix6 View Post
    How bout a thread dedicated to the redirects(say what was where & where it is now) and after a mouth or two the old ones get deleted
    Yeah, I thought about that as well, though that still probably falls into the category of requiring regular manual thread pruning which can turn into a big time sink if the forums ever starts getting significant traffic increases. In general, I always tend to lean towards the simplest and most elegant solution for stuff like this.

I could probably poke around in the code to set up some sort of auto-notify system for moving threads, though for now there's a few higher priority forum improvements I'm hoping to take care of first (many of which are rolling out late this week I believe - fingers crossed). For now I'm still leaning towards having the redirects automatically disappear after 2-3 days I think, though longterm I do think I'd like some sort of notification system set up.

The notification system sounds the most feasible now. Maybe down the line ya guys could see if volunteers would be willing to sift through the redirects for a redirect thread if it becomes an effective system with little to no cost.
    "shhhhhhh" he said as his knife flicked dangerously with a menacing smile of red and white.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I just seen your username does that mean we must fight for the eternal soul of the forum?

I think the notification system would be best, but if the redirects disappear after 2-3 days it's fine. I thought they were going to stay there forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Eryndir View Post
    I think the notification system would be best, but if the redirects disappear after 2-3 days it's fine. I thought they were going to stay there forever...
    Heh, nah. That's an option technically, but I usually just set it to a couple of days to give a grace period to the thread creator so they can see where their thread ran off to. I agree that a notification system would definitely be preferable longterm.

For anyone interested, these are the available options for moving threads. For now I think I'll default expiration to 2 days (mainly since some people don't check back on their threads daily).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Heh, nah. That's an option technically, but I usually just set it to a couple of days to give a grace period to the thread creator so they can see where their thread ran off to. I agree that a notification system would definitely be preferable longterm.

For anyone interested, these are the available options for moving threads. For now I think I'll default expiration to 2 days (mainly since some people don't check back on their threads daily).
    Two days is a good time, in my opinion.