Most bizarre JRPG you've played, can be story, gameplay, characters, anything!

Thread: Most bizarre JRPG you've played, can be story, gameplay, characters, anything!

Most bizarre JRPG you've played, can be story, gameplay, characters, anything!

This video will be analyzing "Chulip", a very bizarre yet uniquely intriguing title for the PlayStation 2. It is a strategy RPG where the protagonist must kiss everyone that will allow him to, in order to gain reputation and grow his heart to woo the girl of his (and by default, the player's) dreams.

and Maka Maka just really super bizarre character design and art

Maka Maka is an obscure (at least in America) RPG for the Super Famicom made by Office Koukan and published by Sigma Enterprises in 1992. It is also considered kuso-ge (shit game), and is hated by many Japanese gamers. It takes place on Earth where Ultraman-style aliens, giant, cannibalistic princesses, and evil, homosexual ant-men are completely normal, and the main character is the reincarnated form of an alien prince who defeated an evil demon king millenia ago. Now, completely resurrected and full of power again, said demon king wants revenge. It's a standard JRPG full of quirky Japanese humor that makes you wonder if the designers were on anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	68  

I know a bunch of really weird games, but I'm going to go with the game that threw me through such a loop l still talk about it with friends. It's not even that weird comparably, but it took a rather sharp turn.

Amnesia a silly little otome dating sim game. Overall, pretty straightforward dating game, with the typical weird "just go with it" premise that so many dating sims rely on to cover weak writing. Some of the plots have darker elements to them but still are romances with happy ending in the end. Nothing out of the realm of other games I've played.

Until Toma's route.

Dude straight up locks you up in a cage after drugging you on a regular basis simply because he "loves you so much" *gag*. Honestly felt like the normal ending and the good ending should have been swapped. "Good" ending: you forgive him even though he doesn't even offer a good explanation other than "my love for you made me do it!" "Normal" ending: you get rescued by one of the other romantic love interests, the creeper escapes and you never see him again. Only reason I don't count that as a 100% happy ending is that he doesn't end up in prison for kidnapping.

I know it's no where near the weirdest dating sim out there, partly because I play way too many dating sims. But it was such a curve ball of "how the hell is this okay?!" It's one thing where the route is one of those really hidden routes that you have to work for or when the whole game is all tragic. I've played those. But this is one of the main routes and I've heard tales of picking him for your first route.

Fortunately I had a hint he was crazy in one of the other routes, so I went in with some trepidation, but every route takes place in it's own contained universe so I had hoped it wasn't going to be the case in his actual storyline.

Tl;Dr: this is not how you do romance.

hahah, that does sound kind of creepy! I remember playing one of those games where you're in a mansion and it suddenly turns into a horror movie, you discover body parts and really brutal killings, the characters were super creepy...I wish i remember the name but all i remember is there was some sort of time limit and you'd end up becoming the monster or being killed by one.

I may have played some bizarre ones and not known they were a JRPG. I think the first thing I can think of though was a game called Okage Shadow King. Looking it up I didn't know there was a PS4 release, so i'll have to try that if I ever get a PS4.

I had completely forgotten about Okage! A friend got me into it when it first came out and I really dug it, but since I didn't have my own copy it just faded from my memory. Thanks for the heads up about the PS4 release!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAlbedo View Post
    I may have played some bizarre ones and not known they were a JRPG. I think the first thing I can think of though was a game called Okage Shadow King. Looking it up I didn't know there was a PS4 release, so i'll have to try that if I ever get a PS4.

my pick is Okage too